Avoid Pest Infestations During The Holiday Season
With the arrival of the holiday season, people all across the country are eagerly anticipating festive decorations, giving and receiving gifts and gathering with family and friends around a roaring fire.
What people don’t usually expect is to encounter pests as they prepare for holiday festivities. The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) suggests consumers take precautions against pests that can make their way into homes via holiday decorations, Christmas trees and even firewood.
Between spiders and mites in Christmas trees, Indian Meal Moths and mice nesting in boxes of decorations and rodents and spiders making homes in firewood piles, homeowners need to take a few extra steps to prevent these pests from making their way into the homes. Holiday preparations are busy enough without the added hassle of dealing with pest infestations, too.
In order to protect homes from these unwanted holiday guests, the NPMA offers the following tips:
- Inspect live Christmas trees, fresh wreathes and garland for spiders and insect nests or eggs before purchasing.
- Shake trees outdoors to remove any pests before bringing the tree inside.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home and on a raised structure such as concrete blocks or poles.
- Pack decorations in airtight containers that pests can’t chew through.
- Unpack decorations outdoors so any pests aren’t released into the home.
Holiday preparations are busy enough without the added hassle of dealing with pest infestations, too. If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest professional to inspect, identify and treat the problem.