Cockroaches Minneapolis & St Paul | Pest Control MN
Fun Facts About Cockroaches
- Cockroaches have been around since the time of dinosaurs
- A cockroach can live almost a month without food
- A cockroach can live about two weeks without water
- Some female cockroaches only mate once and stay pregnant for life
- A cockroach can live for up to one week without its head
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes
- Cockroaches can run up to 3 miles an hour.
What Cockroaches Eat And Their Health Hazards
Cockroaches will eat almost anything, from book bindings, paper, food and even human flesh. Did you know that doctors in some inner city areas report that one-half of the foreign objects they remove from children’s ears are cockroaches and that Cockroaches have been identified as a common cause of asthma. Health experts say inhalation of cockroach feces and body fragments, particularly among inner-city children, has resulted in an explosion of asthma cases in the past two decades. It is believed that the cockroach may be a carrier for a range of bacteria, including salmonella, staphylococcus and streptococcus.
How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches
There are sprays, baits and bait stations. Sprays work well for contact kill but they won’t get rid of your cockroaches. Cockroaches will sense the smells and go back into the wall and cracks and crevices and stay away from these sprays until they are gone. Baits seem to work best.
If you do- it- yourself than here’s what you can do. Go to your local hardware store, home center or even Walgreen’s and buy some Combat Roach Killing Gel . It usually comes in a syringe or tube and apply this gel in all cracks and crevices in your home. All kitchen cabinets (you don’t have to empty your cabinets). Just apply it in tiny dots about the size of a grain of rice and no larger than a pea. Apply it to all corners of your cabinets and anywhere else you see roaches.
There is an assortment of do-it- yourself formulas for killing cockroaches. Follow these steps to serve these pests an eviction notice and keep them from coming back.
Make “Road Food”
- One part powdered (not granular) boric acid (sold as a roach-killing powder, but often available in pharmacies)
- One part white flour
- One part granulated white sugar
The sugar baits it, the flour makes it stick, and the boric acid kills them. Place in the backs of drawers and cabinets, stoves, under fridge, etc.
Buy “Road Food”
- Get professional grade pesticides. Don’t go to the local home improvement store, all that stuff is weak. Search the web for it and get something with Cypermerthin.
- If you buy an exterior bug spray, it will work inside much better. To spray it, put it in a spray bottle and spray the solution in the kitchen cabinets clockwise while holding your breath. Spray quickly and run out and leave the windows closed all day.
If these do-it-yourself remedies don’t work or you’re not a do-it-yourself kinda person give you a Minnesota Pest Control Expert a call.